Monday, September 12, 2011

How To Plan Your First Gold Panning Trip

 The time has finally come. You are about to go out on your adventure into gold first. What will you find? Are you ready for the trip?

Planning a trip to gold mining is very similar to planning for hiking. I will assume that you are planning a day trip.

The key to any successful trip is ready for anything, without being burdened with gear. I like to break planning a trip to three categories: gold mining, safety and comfort. The following show you what I recommend that you bring and why.

 

                 
Gold Panning Equipment 

A pot of gold and a piece of back or new. I always have my trusty slant in my bag, I know. Before trying a new dish, I often use my skillet first standard, so I know what I can expect to find.

Toys to play in the dirt include a shovel, a scoop and a large screen. I call these toys to play in the dirt as a kid because that's what I used and because I originally used to screen sandbox for my daughter for gold panning. She was not too happy about it when she thought of her.

A lever. I was lucky enough to find a lever with a handful of departure is the perfect length to double as a walking stick. This is very useful when crossing streams and climbing steep hills. Whenever possible, try to find things that serve a dual purpose.

A bottle or bottle to collect gold snifter you find. As tweezers and a magnifying glass may help. Hopefully you will not need glass to see your gold. However, it is often useful to look closely at the soil, minerals or conclusions.

Specialized tools. Depending on where I venture I often add an additional device such as a device crevicing. Crevicing device sucks up submerged material from cracks in rocks in the stream. Many people like having a periscope that can be as simple as a tube with a plastic wrap on the bottom of things. This allows you to see what is on the bottom of the stream, and if you're lucky see a small yellow glow.

Safety Equipment 

Make and use a hand sanitizer.

Have several sizes of bandages. Usually the worst that you can get is a knuckle disposed of, but better be safe than sorry.

Know something about first aid. You will walk on slippery rocks and other hazards. It benefits you know how to treat a twisted ankle or broken.

Snake bite kit. A friend almost stepped on a rattlesnake while we, where the pan. Fortunately, he was young and did not strike.

A bell attached to your belt. This alert bears and other animals to your presence.

Basic survival equipment. Every time you venture into the woods, you should have the basics to survive at least one night. Band-AIDS, chocolate, water tablets, painkillers, lighter and fishing hooks and line are a good start. There are many sardines can first aid kits available.

Make sure someone knows where you are going and when you return.

Comfort Stuff 

Sunscreen and a hat. Heat stroke can be deadly and sunburn is not fun. Take a moment to protect yourself.

High-energy snacks. The first few times I went gold panning I was very surprised to see how the work was for the muscles that I did not used to using. Having snacks like trail mix really help to avoid collapse.

Water. Beer and other alcoholic beverages are relaxing, but they dehydrate you. You must ensure you drink water on a regular basis, especially if it is hot. Otherwise, you can become dehydrated. My golden rule is a small bottle of water every hour and if it's a hot day, I also jump into the water after drinking.

A small chair can save you a lot back pain. Gold Panning involves a lot of squatting and kneeling. A small light chair, especially if you know you'll be in the same place for a while, can really make things much more comfortable.

Good shoes or maybe sandals. You'll be splashing in a river often and do some climbing. Hiking shoes are great. Other people prefer rain boots. But my preference is Teva sandals - durable and comfortable with good grip for walking on wet rocks and possibly viscous.

If you are enjoying reading this blog,Share it on Facebook, Twitter, Buzz or Reddit.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More